Whether you dream of starting your own business or want to help businesses grow as a financial advisor, market research analyst, or marketing manager, a business degree can give you the foundation you need to be successful in the world of business. business.
In today’s competitive economy, when many employees enter the workforce with a bachelor’s and master’s degree, a business degree or an international business degree can help you stand out and prepare you for many. career opportunities.
Is business a good major?
Employers are hungry for business graduate candidates. In the 2018 National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) employment outlook survey, business majors – including business management – were 8 of the 10 most requested majors by employers.
Is a business degree worth it?
The business management salary is solid. In 2020, the median salary for management positions was $ 109,760 and the field is expected to grow 5% through 2029, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
What kinds of jobs can you get with a business management degree?
Want to start your own business career? Learn more about what you can do with a business degree and how to gain the knowledge and skills you need to be successful in one of these in-demand jobs:
- Financial Analyst – As a financial analyst, you can help businesses and organizations make sound business and investment decisions by evaluating financial data and studying economic trends. As the economy continues to grow and global business opportunities increase, financial analysts will be needed to assess investment opportunities when companies are created or developed. The employment of financial analysts is expected to increase by 5% through 2029, faster than the national average and financial analysts earned a median salary of $ 83,660 in 2020, according to BLS.
- Market analyst – Market research analysts work to determine a company’s position in the market by researching competitors, product demand, and prices. As a market research analyst, you can forecast marketing and sales trends and collect data to measure the effectiveness of business strategies. As businesses increasingly use consumer behavior data to increase sales and reduce costs, market research analysts will be in high demand. Market research analysts have made a median salary of $ 65,810 in 2020 and the domain is expected to grow 18% through 2029, according to the BLS.
- Commercial director – As a sales manager for a retail or business-to-business organization, you will lead the distribution of goods and services, set sales goals, and analyze statistics to manage inventory and identify new markets. Sales managers are also responsible for hiring and training new sales staff. Effective sales teams are critical to a company’s bottom line, and the field is expected to grow 4% through 2029 and the the median salary for the position was $ 132,290 in 2020, according to the BLS.
- Marketing Manager – As a Marketing Manager, you can help build a company’s brand, increase sales, and directly contribute to business growth. Marketing managers plan promotional campaigns, create advertisements and negotiate advertising contracts, and oversee the day-to-day management of social media, email marketing and website content. As new digital marketing opportunities become available and many companies look to expand into the global marketplace, marketers will continue to be in demand. Marketing managers did a median salary of $ 141,490 in 2020 and the domain is expected to grow 6% through 2029, according to the BLS.
- Human Resources Director – Human resource managers are an important link between the management of an organization and its employees. As a Human Resources Manager, you will oversee the recruitment, hiring and engagement of employees, oversee benefit programs, and mediate employee disputes. Changing employment laws and regulations, as well as an increasing use of technology in benefit management, will drive the demand for experienced human resource managers. In 2020, HR managers obtained a median salary of $ 121,200 and the domain is expected to grow 6% through 2029, according to the BLS.
- An accountant – With an accounting degree, you can find work in a wide variety of industries, as an internal account managing the finances of a single company, working for the government, or even as a private accountant in your own business. Accountants review financial statements, review the effectiveness of accounting systems, make sure companies comply with laws and regulations, and suggest ways to cut costs and increase revenue. The accountants made a median salary of $ 73,560 in 2020 and the field is expected to grow 4% through 2029, according to the BLS.
What Can You Do With an Online International Business Management Degree?
As technology continues to advance and more businesses move online, it is easier than ever for businesses to expand their products and services into the global marketplace. With a degree in International Business, you will be well on your way to joining a growing sector of the business world.
In a degree program in International Business, you will explore international market analysis, global business development, international finance, and ethical standards for international operations. International trade jobs, such as those listed below, are in high demand and are expected to grow as businesses continue to expand into global markets.
- International operations managers – International Operations Managers are responsible for coordinating facility operations across multiple countries and work with other senior executives to plan long-term strategies for sales and growth. International operations managers earn a median salary of $ 77,000, according to Payscale.
- International Marketing Managers – International Marketing Managers help drive a company’s international growth and build a company’s brand around the world. International Marketing Managers Earn a median salary of $ 79,000, according to Payscale data.
- International tax directors – International tax directors are important members of the finance team of a global business, ensuring that a business is in compliance with international tax law. Tax directors prepare and file tax forms and analyze tax regulations to maximize business profits. International tax directors earn a median salary of $ 115,000, according to Payscale.
How to start a business career
If you want to embark on a rewarding business career, enrolling in a business degree or an international business degree program is an important first step. While there are many job opportunities for workers with a bachelor’s degree in business, earning a master’s degree in business can help you secure managerial positions.
In a business degree program, you will explore principles such as management, marketing, and data analysis, and learn key skills such as communication, problem solving, collaboration, and research. You will also explore topics related to international trade and explore the ethical, cultural and regulatory factors that impact companies that thrive in global markets. Selecting a specialization for your studies in a particular area of ââinterest – such as finance, accounting, or marketing – can help you hone your skills even further.
With a bachelor’s or master’s degree in commerce, you will be well prepared to enter the business world and find a rewarding career in helping businesses and organizations grow.
Danielle Gagnon is a freelance writer specializing in higher education. Connect with her on LinkedIn.